Tuesday 14 February 2012

Lilia's Christmas knits

Lilia's Christmas knits

I have a reputation for giving my poor little sister Lilia terrible Christmas gifts. I always mean well, but somehow I've managed to give her a weird IOU gift on more than one occasion. I think that the worst offense was the year that I wrapped up a pair of my mom's old jeans and gave them to her along with an IOU to turn the jeans into a purse. The worst part is that I never did end up making her that purse, so mom jeans were all that 13 year old Lilia got from me that year. We laugh about it a lot now, but she certainly didn't think that it was funny at the time. 

As I was wrapping up her gift this year (well, last year I guess, Christmas 2011) I worried that I had fallen into the same old trap. I gave her a Windward Slouch (which I new she would like) a pair of Grammy's mitts that coordinated with the hat (which I also knew she would like) and this is the part that could have gotten me in hot water... I gave her a custom Dipped Infinity Scarf kit that worked with both the hat and the mitts. I know, you're all thinking I'm crazy because a scarf kit is an awesome gift, but considering our history and how badly received gifts that require assembly usually are, I had reason to doubt it. I knew that she would like the colours and the scarf, but worried that maybe she would have preferred to receive a finished scarf rather than just the supplies to make one herself.  Luckily for us all, she loved it. She's a very good knitter, but doesn't have as much free knitting time as I do (she's in med school, she's a very busy girl). She cast on for the scarf on Christmas and was finished before the end of the holidays. Phew! She's been wearing her full set of winter accessories ever since and looks fantastic!

Lilia's Christmas knits

Colours (view them all here)
Hat: teal.
Mitts: teal, seabreeze, lemongrass.
Scarf: teal, midnight, deep sea, peacock, seabreeze, spearmint, lemongrass, buttercup.

So, I know what you're all thinking: "It's Tuesday! Where's TFA Tuesday?" well, I'm giving it a break for a while (again!). There are certainly no shortage of awesome knits in TFA yarns, and you can peruse to your heart's content over on Ravelry. But I need to reclaim my Tuesdays. I know it seems selfish, but sometimes I have other things that I want to blog about, but I can't because I have to stick to the "schedule", which is silly. I love blogging, and when I started, it wasn't exclusively for TFA, it was just my little space where I shared the fun, crafty, colourful things that I felt like sharing. I don't like feeling like I have to blog certain things on certain days, I like freedom.

Having said that, is there anything that you guys would love to see on my blog that I'm not sharing? More posts, less posts, more WIP's, more behind the scenes, more colours, less knitting/more life... I'd love to know what you think.

ps: Happy Valentine's day!