Monday 24 June 2013

3 Colours

ColourShawls
Betsy by Amy Miller, Colour Affection by Veera Välimäki, Happy Street by Veera Välimäki, Daybreak by Stephen West (project photo by MrsSophie)


The beautiful striped shawl trend does not look like it's going to go away anytime soon. And that's terrific, because playing with colour is my favourite passtime. :) I get emails all the time from knitters wanting suggestions for colour pairings. Often times they have one or two favourite colourways that they know they want to use and they're just missing that last one to tie the whole look together. 

There are lots of obvious choices, take Veera's gorgeous blue Colour Affection (top right) where she's stuck with a tonal palette, look to any of my TFA Palettes, pick 3 colours from any of them and you'll be all set! Or the Happy Street shawl photo featuring 2 neutrals and a pop, chose any two greys add  your favourite bright shade and you're in business! I'm trying to branch out a bit and chose colour pairings that don't always fall side by side on the tonal colour wheel. I do love my gradient rainbows, but every once in a while it's fun to do something a little more unexpected and interesting. Although, having said that, I think that my favourite image in the collage above is hands down MrsSophie's gorgeous Daybreak shawl... done in the colours of my Signature Palette... maybe I'm not totally ready to change my ways just yet. 

This morning I snapped some shots of a few interesting colour combos for you, just in case you've got a colourful shawl in mind and need a bit of inspiration!
IMG_5911
Charcoal, Royal Flush and Chris Grey :: replace the red with any of your favourite brights (maybe Peacock or Lemongrass!) Change the Chris Grey for Sand... the possibilities with this sort of combo are endless!

IMG_5914
Chris Grey, Seabreeze and Brick :: Chris Grey goes with everything! And I really love the warm rust and cool turquoise together.

IMG_5917
Gold, Lucky Penny and Truffle :: Lucky Penny is such a great colourway, but it can be tricky to figure out what it's best mates are. I love it with Gold, add the richness of Truffle and I think that this combo really works.

IMG_5921
Iris, paired with Seabreeze, Gold, Jewel and Sunset :: Iris is another dynamic colourway and it looks great with lots of other shades. Gold seems to be a favourite of mine for pairings, it's such a nice warm neutral and really lets the more complex colourways shine.

So, there you have just a few of my favourite combo's from this morning. Hope they inspire you to try knitting with colour today!