Friday, 3 August 2012

Nanook - FO

IMG_1265

My Nanook (design be Heidi Kirrmaieris finished, and it is perfect! After a good wet blocking the fronts of the cardigan flow open effortlessly. The fit in the body and sleeves is very comfotable and I have to say, knit up in my Orange Label Cashmere/Silk Worsted weight yarn, in the Sand colourway, it's pretty much a dream to wear.

IMG_1294

What drew me to this pattern initially was the collar. It's a show stopper! But upon closer examination I was also really intrigued by the interesting construction elements. I love the combination of lace, garter stitch and stockinette stitch. And I really wanted to see how those gorgeous yoke increases would work out! They create a really pretty starburst pattern of increases along the upper back of the sweater and I think they are just so pretty. I'm mesmerized by how well fitting the resulting sweater is, it definitely makes me re-think the standard sweater yoke construction I usually use (set in sleeves or raglan yokes are not the only options!)

IMG_1296

In the photo just above I love how the fabric transitions from sleek stockinette on the sleeve to textured garter stitch for the front. So pretty. It's details like this that really make a sweater design stand out for me. 

Nanook1

The pattern was really well written, easy to follow and fun to knit. The resulting cardigan is an instant favourite! I would even consider knitting it again. My mom is currently knitting one for herself in Atlantic, I think that everyone should knit themselves a Nanook! 

IMG_1269

I knit this sweater as part of the Luvinthemommyhood Summer Sweater KAL and I've finished it long before the end date. What I should be working on is my Ravellenic games WIP wrestling challenge... How are your Ravellenic Games projects coming along?

9 comments:

  1. Oh that turned out so well! And I agree on the details issue - that shoulder shot really captures the intersection of all that great stitch play.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks stunning. I was thinking this is the perfect b-day gift from me to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE THIS! You should make a kit out of it! I just love the color!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, it looks beautiful. I'm knitting Shellseeker, also by Heidi Kirrmaier, at the moment, and its such a great pattern to knit. I'm definitely tempted by this one too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...stunning!! I really can't take my eyes away from the collar!! And the colour is absolutely perfect! But I know what you mean about interesting construction and how it draws you in to knit on it even more. I'm very tempted to add this to my ever growing queue! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the yarn and the details but I have to be honest, it doesn't appear flattering to me. You are a small and delicate girl, waif like even, and this sweater makes you look a bit dumpy and round shouldered - I know that wording sounds harsh and ugly but I can't think of a better one to describe it, especially when you usually look so poised and elegant to me. Perhaps it is the drape collar area that is creating this effect, I don't know... it is beautifully crafted and the yarn is gorgeous but I just don't think it flatters you... I'm sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a beautiful cardigan! And I love the sand colorway too, very flattering and shows off all the details of the knitted piece. I've had this pattern in mind, but wasn't quite sure about it until now. Might just have to consider this as a future project. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a great pattern, it is beautiful! Great colour as well. Quit ejealous now...

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is absolutely lovely! I am checking out this pattern now...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving me a comment! I love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to answer questions right here in the comments, so if you ask a question, be sure to check back because the answer might be here waiting for you! If you have a really specific question that deserves a more in depth answer be sure to leave your e-mail address in your comment so I can get in touch with you.