Friday 1 June 2012

Etsy Shop Update Tomorrow!

Set the alarms on your cell phones! There will be an Etsy shop update tomorrow, Saturday June 2, at 12pm (that's noon!) Eastern Standard Time. This update will feature a bunch of almost everything, Green Label, Orange Label, Purple Label, Red Label, Blue Label a teensie bit of Pink Label and Yellow Label and a few batches of the March Club base, a gorgeous merino silk fingering weight blend dyed in One of a Kind colourways. Below are a few of my favorites from this update: 

Etsy Update - June 2, 2012
Mmmmmm so pretty! Dyeing One of a Kind colourways makes me soooo happy.

People often say to me: "Tan, since you love the ooak's so much, why don't you just make them permanent colourways in your collection?" To that I say: very good question, here is the answer:

A) A lot of these colourways are not exactly reproducible. What makes them so awesome is that they are layered in such a way that I just couldn't achieve the same look in my production dyeing. Sometimes I'll try a combination of colours and it just doesn't work, so I mix up some more dye and throw in "a little bit of this and a little bit of that", I pour it on, swirl it around, take the yarn out, look at it in natural light and then put it back into something else until the colours come together to create something beautiful. By the time I'm finished I have no idea what I've done, I just know that the colourway is awesome and truly One of a Kind!

B) Hopefully some of these colourways will eventually make it to the permanent collection! It's a great way for me to experiment, think outside the box and try new things, if they work, and they fit in to my vision for the TFA colour collection, then there is a good chance they could. Or maybe become a future Club colourway...

For now, I'm very happy to just play around in my dye studio from time to time with complete reckless abandon, not worrying about writing things down or taking careful notes. It's dyeing at it's most fun, most carefree. I love being able to do it, I hate having to part with them, but I appreciate so much that I live in a world where there are other knitter's who love the One of a Kind's as much as I do!

Don't forget, tomorrow, Saturday, June 2 at noon for the update!