Wednesday 11 April 2012

Baby sweaters are the new socks

IMG_4264

I recently read this blog post by Jane Richmond about why she likes to knit socks. I couldn't agree more with everything she says. However, I'm fining that recently, knitting baby sweaters hits all the same targets for me as socks do. They can be small, portable, mindless, they don't really have to fit, they can be knit with just a single skein of yarn if you want. Best part is they are always adorable, no matter how simple the pattern. I'm currently working on a little number that has the added satisfaction of using up a very special skein of handspun yarn. I really do love spinning, but I treasure my handspun skeins so much that it can be really difficult to find a project worthy of one! I spun this skein way back in November 2009 and have been hoarding it ever since. I love the way it's working up so far. The pattern is the Garter Yoke Baby Cardi by Jennifer Hoel.

Of course, having said all that, I still have a pair of simple stockinette socks on the needles just in case.  

socks