Wednesday 18 August 2010

Happy Circles!

Ah, what a way to spend a couple hours on a Saturday morning! While doing my Fine Arts Degree I took 2 photography classes, I always liked the idea of photography, but the technical aspects and all that time in the dark room always left me cold. I just couldn't get into it, now I'm thinking I just wasn't working with the right subjects. Give me a whippet, or a stack of colourful crocheted circles and I'm happy for hours!

It took me a while to figure out what arrangement I liked best. First I started just stacking them. I liked it, and it was interesting because I divided them into colour groupings based exclusively on the outside colour, so even if the center of the circle was red and the second round was orange, if the outer colour was green, it went in the green pile. It was a new way of looking at these circles for me, and I think that it made me change my plans for the blanket that these circles will eventually become.

I tried a couple other ways of arranging the circles, in stripes, in a grid, neither way really worked for me in terms of a final photograph. Then I tried a flower. Pretty!


From there I made a bigger flower!

Then I decided to get random! After all, my original goal with the circles was to make a completely random, crazy, multicoloured blanket with them. I blogged a bit about it here. I let Chris pick out some weird colour combo's, I tried not to think about what I was doing and just go for it. I even started crocheting some of them together, just picking randomly out of the pile and working with whatever circle came up next. I liked this random approach, until...

I just couldn't help myself, no matter how random I try and be I am just too ruled by my colour wheel. I've proven it time and time again. I love the organized, gradual shifts in colour of a rainbow. I just can't fight the urge to put things in rainbow formation (even my sweaters in my closet are organized according to colour, and in rainbow formation naturally.)

This is when I think that I really hit my stride. I started getting all "photographer" on these circles, lying down to get the right angle, squatting in the closet to fit it all in the shot. It was so much fun!

I think I've officially changed my approach for my circles blanket, I'm going to have to do it in rainbow formation. Random colour chaos is great for some people, but I just can't do it.

I think that this is my favorite shot:
Ah... yup, just looking at these lovely rainbows of crocheted circles really makes me happy!