Sunday 8 November 2009

Little Girl Scarf

Back in June I started spinning with a really lovely superwash merino roving that I had dyed in my favorite shades of blue, purple and pink. At the time, I was very proud of my spinning job! I knew it wasn't perfect, but it was my best yet! I have been a bit nervous to knit with my handspun. I put so much effort into the dyeing and the spinning, that by the time I get to actually knitting with it I'm worried that I'll chose the wrong pattern, or I'll make a mistake and all my hard work will be ruined!

I knew that it was time that I face my fear! I wanted to knit a little scarf for my Goddaughter Abby for Christmas, and I knew that this skein full of purples and pinks would be perfect for her! I cast on 20 stitches on 6mm needles and knit until I didn't have any yarn left. It only took a couple hours of knitting! And it is perfect!

I think that this may officially be the hardest knit I've ever had to part with! I love all my knits, but this one is special. I love how even though I'm a new spinner and I didn't have any plans for controlling the colour shifts in the yarn, that garter stitch is so forgiving and that the colours blend in and out of each other like a deliberate watercolour. This scarf is so soft and smooshy and cozy, perfect for a little girl. Maybe that's what I love about it so much, it really appeals to the little girl in me! I am sad to give it away, but Abby's worth it. Rest assured, I will definitely be making myself one of these someday soon.