Tuesday 11 August 2009

My studio and knitting with handspun

I'm very glad that our day bed was able to make the move to our new apartment. This bed was my bed for 20 years. It was my first and only bed until I moved out and finally graduated to a bed bigger than a single. When we moved into the loft my mom said I could take it if I had room, I gladly accepted. Call me sentimental, but I love it. It now lives in the room we call the studio and continues to hide my stash of non-TFA yarn underneath it.


One of my favorite things about our new place is the closet space! The studio has the smallest of the three closets, but it's perfect for storing all my sewing supplies, shipping supplies and spinning accessories. The top shelf holds all those things that we move around with us but rarely use, Christmas decorations, a box of old cd's, painting junk... and there's still plenty more space to use in there. Excuse the mess on the desk, we're tackling one thing at a time here!


Yesterday Chris and I installed a ceiling fan in the studio, we went to the Home Depot planning on buying the cheapest, plainest one we could find, but lucked out and found this gem:

I realize that it's absolutely designed to go in a kids room, but it's so fun and simple (lots of ceiling fan's are pretty extravagant!) this pop of colour suits us just fine.

And finally, some knitting content. Last night I decided that I wanted to start a simple project to ease me back in to knitting after an almost 2 week hiatus. I'm knitting a simple hat out of my own hand dyed hand spun superwash merino yarn. Remember this? It's now this:

I'm loving it. It's very soft and is knitting up beautifully. It's my first project using my own handspun yarn, and I think I'm hooked.