Wednesday 12 August 2009

Hand dyed, hand spun, hand knit hat!

Simple pattern, simple hat, huge rewards! This is my first finished project using my own hand dyed superwash merino roving (available in the shop soon) that I spun into 2 ply yarn all by myself and then knit into this very cozy, super soft, really warm hat. I couldn't be more proud!

I had no idea how/if the colours would stripe as I knit with the yarn. I'm very pleased with the result, it has subtle variation and interest, what I always aim to achieve with my hand dyed yarns. I had 130 yds of yarn and have quite a bit left over. I've got 3 more skeins of my hand spun wound into cakes all ready to be knit with! Remember when I said I wouldn't spin any more yarn until I had knit with some of my current stash? Well, I honoured that vow and now I'm ready to get spinning again!

After a week at the cottage, which incidentally also means of week of escaping from reality, from responsibilities, from thinking... I now feel fully rejuvenated and ready to take the plunge and tackle a big project that I've been wanting to start for a couple months now. Back in April my mom gave me Noro Collection Book 3, and I immediately cast on for Design 6. I am so happy with the results that I'm confident that this next project from the book will turn out just as well.
It's Design 26, knit in Kureyon sock yarn in colourway #220. I know I'm not showing much creativity by again choosing to knit the pattern in the colourway suggested in the book, but I just love the look of this cardigan done in these colours! I'll admit, this project is a little bit daunting, for one thing, I can't find anyone else in the world who has knit this pattern, not on Ravelry, not in any google search, which makes me wonder if I'm the only one who likes it!? It's also my first adult sweater project knit on 3mm needles out of sock yarn, but I'm a small adult and the yarn is so fun to knit with that I'm hoping it won't be that tedious. Lastly, I'm a little concerned that maybe it's not going to be the most practical of wardrobe pieces... Regardless of my uncertainties, I'm going to plow on. Wish me luck!