Friday 23 January 2009

My pretty grey sweater

For Christmas, my mom gave me Norah Gaughan Vol.3. I knew I was getting it, because I was with my mom when she bought it! There are a couple patterns that I like in it, but the reason I really had to have it was for Assemblage. The cable pattern is just so pretty I can't stand it! I was so excited to cast on I ordered the yarn from Webs before Christmas hoping that it would arrive shortly after Christmas so I could cast on immediately. And it did! So, I've been working on it on and off all month (it's been a busy month) and I've got a back and one and a half sleeves. By the end of this weekend I hope to have the second sleeve finished and a good start on the front.

I'm knitting it using Valley Yarns Northfield in the Haze colourway, and I love it! It was a bit of a gamble because I'd never used it before, and considering the fiber content (70% merino, 20% baby alpaca, 10% silk) I thought that it was a really affordable, maybe too affordable. But so far I think it's a great match for the pattern. It has really nice stitch definition, unblocked the cable pattern already looks amazing, and the colour is really nice and soft. I think this is going to be a hit. Here's a close up of the sleeve cuff's, so pretty!

I went on a weekend trip to Toronto, and since I needed something really portable and easy to pick up and put down I cast on for a new sock. In the ball, I thought that I would love this yarn knitted up, but so far I'm not crazy about the way the colours are stripping. The yarn is Regia Canyon colour #2804. I don't like how the stripes are so regular, the colours are pretty, but it's just kind of boring. I prefer random stripes, they just appeal to me more, less perfect. Maybe they'll grow on me. Or maybe they'll end up gifted.